FROM THE MARKET—Among the news at the first day of the Las Vegas show, World Market Center execs said rug showrooms currently on the eighth floor of Building C will relocate to the heart of the home decor section in Building B. The WMC said the move is being made to accommodate the growing gift sector in Building C.
The new rug showrooms in Building B, opening in August 2011, will span three floors and will be synergistic with WMC’s accessory resources.
Also heard and seen at the show:
• CMI has released a new branding campaign to its braided rug line, resulting in a new catalog plus a new website next month. The catalog will show braids as contemporary and colorful. “Braids have a stigma; we’re trying to remove that,” said Roy Evans, vice president of sales and marketing. In addition, five of its seven new rug introductions are rectangles, and not the traditional ovals for which braids are known. “The rectangle shape changes the dynamic,” Evans said.
• Floor covering industry veteran Larry Mahurter is Nourison’s new marketing director. He was previously with Couristan.
• Simmons introduced a new opening price point brand, BeautySleep, featuring Smart Response pocketed-coil technology.
• Mindi Brothers has joined Broyhill as director of marketing. Brothers joined parent company Furniture Brands International last year in a retail marketing capacity. Her duties have expanded to include leading the Broyhill marketing effort.
• Pacific Coast Lighting opened its new showroom in Building A with a ribbon cutting with an appearance by Kathy Ireland.